Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Anarchist Shhhhmanarchist! June 25

Today is going to be a good day, I'm excited to tackle the Anarchist. I suppose we have all made it over two passes now and we feel pretty confident. The plan was to wake up early to get going before it gets too hot. However, we totally luck out. The weather is perfect slightly overcast and quite cool. We expect that it will take about two hours to complete. Brett, Allan and I were talking to some other cyclists yesterday in Keremeos and they mentioned that it takes them about two hours to do and that they "are pretty slow." I don't imagine they are that slow by the looks of their lean fit bods.

I am so excited though, I feel almost like when I ride a roller coaster. Probably because people just know of this hill and after we can say we've done it!

The ride really is not that bad, and we're all doing really well....until we see the statues marking the different private drives just before the summit. Of course, We all have to stop for some sweet Kodak Moments!

Anyhow, we all have our picture taken with the Moose, Cougar and the best one of all the Sasquatch! (Actually I'm not exactly sure how to spell that...) Some character had strategically placed a Kokanee box in his hand.

With the Anarchist under our belts we begin the decent down into Rock Creek. Brett flies by both Kelly and I, pedaling like a mad man to try and beat his fastest speed so far. Coming down some of the mountains yesterday he hit 71km/h, so far mine is 70km/h. The challenge has begun. I thought I might hit 80km/h as the down side of Anarchist is really straight and you don't have to worry about slowing for the turns. But I end up at a meager 65km/h I just wanted to enjoy not pedaling for a little while :o)

Rock Creek is a cute little BC town, but no time to enjoy it as we are headed to Grand Forks. Until.... we make it just out of town and Brett's knee just decides that its done for the day. We haven't seen Kelly or the van for awhile so we just sit on a cement barrier and wait.

Pretty soon Kelly roars up and it turns out that he blew through a tire too.... fortunately there was an extra in the van or we definitely would have had to find another bike shop. But the news still isn't good for Brett so we decide to stay in Rock Creek at the Kettle River RV park. It is so nice and the showers are amazing! I would really like to go back, hopefully with our RV. Tents are easy and packable but not so comfortable or luxurious. I'm definitely used to RV'ing compared to tenting. My first real tenting experience was last summer on the
U of L Geography SW trip.

We also decide that trying the decrepit camp stove is a bad idea. So its dinner at the 'Gold Pan' in Rock Creek. It is so fabulous, probably the best french fries I have ever had! Oh and the gravy, is totally grrrravy baby! Yum!

Well its back to the campsite and hopefully Brett feels better in the morning.

No comments: