Thursday, July 10, 2008

Roadkill....stinks!!! July 9

White City to Moosomin (the 200+km day!)

I have come to the conclusion that Skunks must be suicidal. Seriously, they must reach a point in their lives where they can no longer live with their own stench and decide to go out with one final blaze of glory (that must last at least a week.) Every day I see and/or smell approximately four or five of these decomposing self haters. Today was exceptionally disgusting, there were not only five dead skunks but also two Antelopes several cats and maybe two coyotes, oh and about a million gophers. EW! I close my eyes when I ride by these lifeless heaps of fur, but it sure gives me the heebie jeebies! I heard this statistic the other day (no idea of the source) but approximately forty thousand animals are killed on the highways each year in Canada. This is insane! I have never run over anything in my car, except a gopher once and I aimed for it. Then felt really bad about it and never did it again :o(

People seriously need to try and avoid hitting the animals, because it is super disgusting when cyclists have to ride by them, and it is also really sad.

On a lighter note, we rode about 220 kms today! Woooooo! It was the longest day ever, but then I lost my sunglasses riding to the campsite and ended up doing another 5k trying to find them. So... it was an even longer day. I really hope we have a tailwind tomorrow, because I am totally going to need it!

V-Out

No comments: