Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Biggest Suspension Bridge in Canada, July 19.

Thunder Bay to Nipigon - 98.5km

Oh I love these short days that we have every once in awhile, it is just such a nice feeling when the distance is under 100km. We did however experience the worst roads of the trip today, and I totally got left behind when I dropped my camera. My brand new had not even taken a single picture, yet, camera. I was rather perturbed by this and the construction. The highway all of a sudden turned into gravel, a soft gravel road is not road bike friendly. It was really quite scary and being passed my vehicles and heavy machinery just added to my anxious state. But we all made it through and once again we were left with another story to add to our library.

We make a slight detour off the highway for the Ouimet Canyon Suspension Bridge, I really wanted to see it and it is the biggest one in Canada. So we paid our $18 (yes eighteen!) to see it. It was pretty interesting, I thought it might be a little scarier... but even the guys that were working on it did not seem to worried. So we trotted across and took some pretty cool pictures.




On the hike back to the parking lot I was totally attacked by a wasp. Initially I thought it was a horse fly so I swatted it away. But then when it came back... and was totally mad I made a "mad" dash for the bathroom. I made it :o) The wasp I think finally decided to leave me alone and after a quick rest we saddled up again to head on to Nipigon.

The campground was "ok" I experienced my second outhouse or pit-toilet of the trip and I would rather not remember it. I cannot believe campgrounds charge people to stay and use an outhouse...yuck! We did a ton of laundry though and we should all be smelling nice and fresh for the next few days :o)

No comments: