Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Biggest Summit yet, June 28

It was another hot day again today and I really need to eat more when I'm riding. But it was definitely refreshing to reach the top of the Kootenay Pass (1774 m.) I really didn't know it was going to be quite that big. We stopped in Salmo for something to eat and once we got about fifteen kms out of town we saw the sign stating that there could be severe weather changes throughout the pass. We definitely don't need to worry about that today.

However I do end up with another flat tire today, I had two yesterday within ten minutes of one another. There must be something going on. I do have super skinny tires and I did anticipate having a lot of flats but this is crazy. Kelly was just in front of me and I let him know what happened and to send the back so I could change the tube. Well actually so Brett could change my tube :o) Brett is the tire changing master! I should really start paying him or something.

With the tire all pumped we were ready to go and reach the summit of the Kootenay Pass. I actually thought we still had a long way to go but I turned the corner and realized that I had already reached the top it was so fabulous! We took a bit of a break and a ton of pictures and then started back down on the way to Creston.

The down hill lasted for 35 km with some little hills in between but it was definitely a nice reward for all the hard work to get to the top. Creston is in a large valley and it is definitely the first town we have come across with grain elevators. We find a really great campground in town and start the setting up of the tents.


No comments: