Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I'm still waiting to see some hills, July 14

Kenora to Dryden - 135.6 km

I am beginning to think that thunder storms are a daily occurrence in this part of the country. I usually really like thunder storms, particularly late at night when I'm at home...in a bed... with hot chocolate. Not when I am trying to pedal my way across the country. But still lightening is pretty darn cool! The rain also keeps the horseflies away. Holy Jeepers! Those things are dumb, they fly right into you and bounce off (one bounced off my upper lip...gross.) They also swoop around you trying to land while you're riding at like 30+ km/h.

Ok, so I'm not sure if anyone else wrote about this but the horseflies actually started bothering us when we were still in Manitoba. Somewhere around Falcon Lake is actually when these demon flies started showing up. One even managed to bounce off my neck and end up down my shirt. I was pretty sure that this had happened and I screamed... but then there didn't seem to be anything... ummm... in my shirt. So I continued riding for a few more moments until I heard a buzzz... I totally screamed again realizing that it was actually in there and then I proceeded to do a face plant into the Manitoba gravel shoulder and then Kelly ran into me... well mostly he just grazed my right hip... ouch! It was definitely an unfortunate series of events :o(

However no one really laughed at me, at least not out loud. I'm sure I looked pretty hilarious, I just couldn't get my feet out of the clips quick enough. But seriously, horseflies are almost as terrible as mosquitoes.


No comments: