Sunday, July 13, 2008

Oh the wind, July 10

Moosomin to (not quite) Brandon

Today we definitely had the most intense headwind yet. It was so bad, maintaining 20km/h was nearly impossible. However, because I was going so slow I noticed a lonely Optimus Prime lying on the side of the road. For a few seconds I debating stopping and saving him from his roadside hideaway. Then I quickly dismounted and snapped him up, mostly because I wanted to sing the Transformer song when I saw the guys in the van. It was...oh so funny (but you really needed to be there.)

That was pretty much the highlight of the day, finding a plastic transformer on the side of highway 1 about 70kms West of Brandon. Anyhow, he is now the van mascot and he keeps Allan company :o)

But, seriously...this headwind was intense. The highways in Manitoba were actually pretty decent until we made it to just outside of Virden. Then the shoulder just disappears, it just turns into a gravel strip that is totally not road bike friendly. Kelly and I made it about half an hour further and then the wind was just too crazy. So... for the first time of the entire trip (and hopefully the last) we cut the day short and racked the bikes. We also needed to make it into Brandon at a good time to enjoy a wonderful dinner at the coolest restaurant in Brandon, Tastee's Ice Cream and Grill. It was oh so fabulous and has the most wonderful owner (and the best milkshakes EVER) who also provided us with a warm and dry place to sleep for the night :o)

After sleeping in a tent for the majority of the past three weeks, I thoroughly enjoy just being in a house. Tenting and camping are just fine but I am really looking forward to re-domesticating myself. That is a very long way away, considering we have just arrived in Manitoba. But, still... Manitoba! This is huge in a few more days we are going to be half way. Well maybe a week, in a week we are going to be half way to St John's.


No comments: